ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > Zabbix Discussions and Feedback > Zabbix Help

Old 07-12-2017, 18:36

Default Organisation of an infrastructure (zabbix concepts)

Hi!

I've started to monitor different (per host unique) items on different hosts with the zabbix agent to become familiar with zabbix. So far so good - easy job.

In a next step I've started to monitor some Tomcat values on a host. I added a jmx connection (incl. java gateway settings) and after some small stumbling blocks I've got it.

My problems began when I looked at the graph for the application. The graph is titled with hostname / item values. What I've expected was that it would be also titled with the application (name) I've created.

Why? Because how can I differ similiar services on the same host. In my case multiple Tomcats on the same host.

Well, for a test I've added a second jmx connection to the other tomcat on the same host. My assumption was to only create another application, add the same items to that application but select the correct jmx port in the item -> Nope! Zabbix stated that I can NOT add the same key value to the same host, also I've selected the other jmx port.

Now I am totally confused how I should organize this (I think not unusual) scenario in Zabbix.

Any hints or (reading material) recommendations to enlight me?

Regards & thanks for reading