ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > Zabbix Discussions and Feedback > Zabbix for Large Environments

Old 22-02-2017, 15:05

Default How to discover and monitoring over than 2m ports in a large environment?

Hello Zabbix experts,

As a requirement came up, I would like to ask the following:

How can I discover and monitor over that 2.000.000 ports in a large infrastructure environment?

Has zabbix this ability? Any idea how can I perform such a port monitoring?

Thank you very much in advance.

BR.
Costas
Old 22-02-2017, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritsako View Post
How can I discover and monitor over that 2.000.000 ports in a large infrastructure environment?
First you need to know what you need to monitor.

(I don't want to be rude but really .. please try to be a bit more realistic about what you are asking for. Only you knows what you need to monitor, and seems like more or less you are asking on the public forum to do for you all normal engineering work about collecting enough details before start answering on implementation questions.
Please try to read zabbix documentation first, then try do some initial work/experiments and back when you will have some problems. If you have no time to do this just hire someone who will do this for you.
At the end: Yes, zabbix can handle tenths millions of metrics.
PS. "Meric" it is kind of base monitoring unit. Not a "port")
Old 23-02-2017, 10:06

Default How can I discover and monitor over that 2.000.000 ports in a large infrastructure en

Hi kloczek,

Thank you for your reply. I will check it again.

BR.
Costas.

PS: I am working on systems monitoring over than 8 years, I am not trying find the solution of my problem ready.
Old 05-05-2017, 16:03

This may be late, but I just saw the thread :-)

Our network group had a database of deployed switches predating zabbix. It had location, ip, make & model. From that database, they used the API to create hosts for each device, assign groups (implying support hours) and a base template. (All are monitored via snmp)

Then LLD discovers the variable data for each switch, ports, fans, anything that occurs N times. If a switch life-cycles, they just delete it from Zabbix, the automation will build it's replacement.

They have about 6500 devices, they discover 6 items per port, 4 proxies do the actual monitoring of about 1.2 million items. We also have servers in the same Zabbix, those hosts take us up to 8250 devices and 5400 NVPS.

What they did wrong: 6 items per port is too many. They created IT Services for everything, it is so slow the GUI is unusable for all IT Services. They alert on 10k events a day, I'm not sure what, but that is "normal" noise, so should either be squelched or fixed if they really are alerts.
Old 18-05-2017, 14:12

Hi LenR,

Thank you for your nice reply. Very nice example. !

BR.
Costas