ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > General > Off-topic discussion

Old 30-07-2008, 23:04

Default Anybody use Firescope? Seems to be Zabbix

Just curious if anybody has used/seen firescope. I was evaluating different monitoring solutions and came across one that is very similar to zabbix. The front end looks slightly different but seems to be a new front end to Zabbix. Down to the ports that the application communicates between server and agents. I did a search on the forums here and didn't find anything related to Firescope. What are your thoughts? Could a company use Zabbix and commercialize it in US?

Last edited by nobler1050; 31-07-2008 at 19:18.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:02

It looks a lot like it is based on Zabbix, or at least VERY much inspired by it. See for instance their "Latest data" page:

• The filename is "latest.php".
  • The title of the page is exactly the same as Zabbix's.
  • They use the exact same date format.
  • The item keys are the same as Zabbix's.

I think that is enough things to conclude that they do have knowledge of Zabbix in one way or another...
Old 31-07-2008, 12:36
Zabbix developer, product manager

Thanks for reporting this. Indeed, the screen shot looks very much like modified ZABBIX front-end, even item keys have exactly the same naming. There are other similarities as well.

We will investigate this. Please expect more details soon.
My Twitter
Old 31-07-2008, 16:53

They even use ports 10050 and 10051. I have the evaluation copy, you have to register to download. The way they package it is interesting, its a self contained Linux environment running a web server. The server itself runs as a vmware appliance that is closed and only allows a command line interface with a custom menu. This interface shows you the IP to connect to with a browser. So there is no install, you just boot a vmware file then point a browser to it.

Last edited by nobler1050; 31-07-2008 at 19:17.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:28

Okay, I've downloaded the VMware trial version, and had a look around it. These are some of the more interesting things I've found:
  • They use Monit in order to keep the server and agent running.
  • The MySQL server is set to log queries not using indexes and slow queries - Which doesn't make much sense to me.
  • The database Firebird is also installed, I can't figure out if it's used or not though.
  • The root password to the MySQL database is "<removed>"
  • Config files for the services look exactly like the ones found in Zabbix.
  • nmap is used as part of the discovery system.
  • The Fedora Directory Server is also included in the image.
  • They also use fping like Zabbix does.
  • They have encrypted a lot of the source code to the webpage.
  • The (web_dir)/include/page_header.php file isn't encrypted, and contains a GPL license header, were they have made a search & replace on "Zabbix" and exchanged it to "Firescope". This makes the first line say: "Copyright (C) 2000-2005 SIA Firescope".
  • They still use all of the $ZBX_... variables.
  • Some java programs are included also, to handle different types of extra features, such as reports.
So I think it's safe to say that they have based their software on Zabbix...

Oh, and last but not least!
They have included the snmptrap.sh script, found in the Zabbix package, and it contains a GPL header which hasn't been modified. So it still says:
Code:
# Zabbix
# Copyright (C) 2000,2001,2002,2003 Alexei Vladishev

Last edited by Alexei; 04-08-2008 at 21:40. Reason: I replaced actual password with "<removed>". Let's be nice. :)
Old 04-08-2008, 17:42

Cheeky barstewards! Although they seem to have done a nice job with the interface.
Old 06-08-2008, 16:41

Default The upside!

Is that the Zabbix project should be able to get any modifications they've made unless they haven't modified any of the source and only added modules and totally separate functionality.
Old 06-08-2008, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by areplogle View Post
Is that the Zabbix project should be able to get any modifications they've made unless they haven't modified any of the source and only added modules and totally separate functionality.
Yes, that's my interpretation of the GPL, under which Zabbix was released. Additionally, by reading some of the other posts in this thread, they've violated the GPL, by editing (and quite possibly removing) the original copyright statements.

For shame.

Chip
Old 06-08-2008, 16:53

Default Community Involvment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
Thanks for reporting this. Indeed, the screen shot looks very much like modified ZABBIX front-end, even item keys have exactly the same naming. There are other similarities as well.

We will investigate this. Please expect more details soon.
Alexi,

Before anyone goes to drastic measures, I think it might be good to state want kind of community support you'd like on this.

I'm sure this could quickly land on slashdot or something similar if you don't tell people that the zabbix team would rather handle it themselves formally first.

It's especially interesting because firescope is advertised on slashdot and sourceforge.net.

Andrew
Old 06-08-2008, 17:52
Zabbix developer, product manager

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by areplogle View Post
Alexi,

Before anyone goes to drastic measures, I think it might be good to state want kind of community support you'd like on this.

I'm sure this could quickly land on slashdot or something similar if you don't tell people that the zabbix team would rather handle it themselves formally first.

It's especially interesting because firescope is advertised on slashdot and sourceforge.net.
Andrew,

I do appreciate support of ZABBIX community very much. Thanks to all of you!

We already contacted Firescope and expecting their official response soon.

Please refrain from doing anything serious until we get a clear picture what's going on. I am not happy about this situation, yet I hope that it will be resolved without use of the heavy artillery.
My Twitter