ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > General > Off-topic discussion

Old 10-10-2008, 22:28

Default Any closer to resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasseoe View Post
How is this going to benefit everyone who have spent countless hours/days/weeks adding patches, contributing bug reports and otherwise supporting the product ?

A lot of these people don't get paid for this, so when a company goes and "steals" the source, rewrites parts of it, rebrands and sells it for a reasonable amount of money, then that's taking the p*ss.

While it's technically a straight cut case, in reality it's far more complex and I realise not much is likely to make it back to the community without taking it to court, what sort of agreement who you made with Firescope?

Thanks.

- Lasse
Considering we're about 10 days out from the initial 60 day period, can you tell us Alexei, what progress has been made?

I'd really be curious to hear your response to Lasse's question too.
Old 21-11-2008, 07:28

Default More Info?

Any new news here? The GPL2 license is extraordinarily clear about these matters. If there is even 1 line of Zabbix code in this product, firescope is required to make that code available. I put in a request for it (it can't be found on their web site), but have gotten no response thus far.
Old 21-11-2008, 18:11

Default Interesting...

So... I got a call from Firescope this morning. The gal that called me said the the GPL licensed code is available. You just need to send a $50 money order to "Attn: Open Source Code Request" at the company's address, and they will send it to you (on CD I guess?). I asked what the $50 money order was for, and she replied "It's for the GPL code". When I brought to her attention that you can't actually "charge" for the code, she was silent for about 10-15 seconds. I then suggested "Is for shipping and handling or something?" to which she replied "...yes". I didn't push it any further, because I don't honestly know what they're allowed to charge for shipping or handling (or if there is even a reference) under GPL2. That said... I am very curious what would come on that CD....
Old 21-11-2008, 20:37

Default If it's for shipping or materials they're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoneson View Post
So... I got a call from Firescope this morning. The gal that called me said the the GPL licensed code is available. You just need to send a $50 money order to "Attn: Open Source Code Request" at the company's address, and they will send it to you (on CD I guess?). I asked what the $50 money order was for, and she replied "It's for the GPL code". When I brought to her attention that you can't actually "charge" for the code, she was silent for about 10-15 seconds. I then suggested "Is for shipping and handling or something?" to which she replied "...yes". I didn't push it any further, because I don't honestly know what they're allowed to charge for shipping or handling (or if there is even a reference) under GPL2. That said... I am very curious what would come on that CD....

http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.php
GPLv2
Last sentence of Term #1.

You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

So I'm pretty sure they're fine in asking for $50 for the code and not required to make it available electronically.
Old 22-11-2008, 07:36

You are correct. I'm still interested in "what" code they are making available.
Old 22-11-2008, 10:43

So what happened finally? Must they released under GNU license or now?

Does that mean we can use Firescope free?
Old 24-11-2008, 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibb View Post
So what happened finally? Must they released under GNU license or now?

Does that mean we can use Firescope free?
Could you please read the three comments before yours?
Old 24-11-2008, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzer View Post
Could you please read the three comments before yours?
Well just because someone pushed them it doesnt mean they have too. On their website its doesnt said anything at all about GNU license or the free code. Even Citrix releases the source and I think you must do it in the same page where the commercial downloads are.

So if I send them 50$ I get their sources? What about the modifications they made, do they still have to shared it? I now if they used Zabbix in just some code they must but why would anyone then buy their software besides the support. How about updates, must they also release them?

I would pay the 50$ just to test it, since there is no trial download available it seems.
Old 19-03-2009, 19:51

Smile Why not backport the good features of Firescope into Zabbix?

Why not backport the good features of Firescope into Zabbix? Quite possibly Firescope have included new features which would be beneficial to the Zabbix project. So why not grab the source code and check it out?
Old 20-03-2009, 10:55

Default waiting for the next official release (may 2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Freeman View Post
Why not backport the good features of Firescope into Zabbix? Quite possibly Firescope have included new features which would be beneficial to the Zabbix project. So why not grab the source code and check it out?
There should be done something (learn/copy/adopt/legal action), if nothing from the FireScope-perils is to be found in the new release may 2009. Spawn anyone?