ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > Zabbix Discussions and Feedback > Zabbix Help

Old 17-07-2009, 16:44

Default Looking for hosted Zabbix-server solution

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is offering Zabbix server hosting. We're currently running our own Zabbix server in a VPS, but would be nice to have it located in a different network and not have to maintain the software. Possibly a service with multiple monitoring "nodes" to ensure something is really wrong.

It's just an idea Anyone offering such a service? Maybe zabbix.com could consider offering something like that?
Old 17-07-2009, 21:48
Zabbix developer, product manager

Lightbulb

I am not aware of any company offering such services.
My Twitter
Old 22-07-2009, 09:06

I don't want to violate any forum rules, so please let me know if I'm out of line for offering.

I work (like so many of us) at a datacenter/hosting company. Offering hosted Zabbix is an idea I've been throwing around in my head for a little while now, and I'm starting to really like it.

What would your price-point be for a hosted Zabbix solution?
Old 22-07-2009, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by suran View Post
What would your price-point be for a hosted Zabbix solution?
I'm not sure. Basically you're competing with VPS pricing I guess. You'd probably want to price based on the amount of items (average per minute?) and hosts. Ideally it's a distributed setup so random network routing issues don't result in problems. I guess you could earn money with SMS notifications as well
Old 09-09-2009, 15:37

I am also looking for a hosted zabbix solution. I've setup a small but growing monitoring system. It has about 330 hosts from 10 proxys that report in. It should not take much resources to host it, but we want to keep it separate from our other site, and need better uptime than our office's cablemodem can provide.

Please PM me with your offers for zabbix hosting.

Thanks!
Old 14-09-2009, 10:20

I am also interested in the hosting of monitoring services.
What keeps me from that is the current state of zabbix and my current lack of experience of zabbix in bigger hosting environments:

This is what I am missing for ZaaS (Zabbix as a service):

Permission model in frontend needs to be stable + extended:
There are still a few open bugs regarding issues of permission.
It should be possible to define "owner" of hosts. The current group read/write concept is not very clear and don't say anything about responsibilities in case of notification etc.

Customers should be able to put their own set of items, without breaking the server/client. It should be possible to create usage reports with the count of services/frequenzy and hosts monitored per customers.

By all - if an api is introduced it should be possible to create a webinterface with simplified functionality for such a customer purpose.

Global trigger dependencies:
Dependencies should be able to go into templates, too.

Redundancy and load balancing support for servers/proxy:

If the server dies the configuration of clients still needs to be adapted to a another server. This involves manual configuration on the clients. Using passive checks at whole would possibly work but it is a performance killer on both server and clients. So it should be at least possible to configure backup server ip on the clients.

Using virtual ip addresses for services gets more and more importance in enterprise environment. It should be possible to add and select from multiple ipv4/6 addresses to an interface either in host configuration and also for adding items.

Of course there are a lot of other features important for hosting i am not aware of.
Old 14-09-2009, 11:07

If I were to offer zabbix as a service, I would have multiple instances. Trying to have all your customers on a single instance seems quite suicidal to me.

The main problem to me with remotely hosted services is security. You would have to setup some kind of VPN and you should trust the service provider (who somehow as access to all your services as user zabbix if monitoring scripts are not carefully written).
Old 14-09-2009, 11:41

Having a single server instance for each user is of course the easiest way out of the security implications. But with one single instance configuration is easier. I see a nightmare managing the items and triggers on several servers also with use of a template system. Also it will still lack failover.

Last edited by tekknokrat; 14-09-2009 at 11:58.
Old 14-09-2009, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekknokrat View Post
There are still a few open bugs regarding issues of permission.
It should be possible to define "owner" of hosts. The current group read/write concept is not very clear and don't say anything about responsibilities in case of notification etc.
What's unclear about it? It seems pretty hierarchical to me. User->User Group->Host Group, and Notification Rule->Host Group->User/Group.

Quote:
Customers should be able to put their own set of items, without breaking the server/client.
Is this not currently possible? I've never managed to break a server/client by adding a new item, but I'll admit, I haven't tried anything crazy.

Quote:
By all - if an api is introduced it should be possible to create a webinterface with simplified functionality for such a customer purpose.
Heck, it's possible now - it's just a MySQL/etc database. It should be possible to create a new interface into it. Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the API - but this is the advantage of an unlocked platform - all the components are there to touch.

Quote:
Global trigger dependencies:
Dependencies should be able to go into templates, too.
Absolutely yes!

Quote:
Redundancy and load balancing support for servers/proxy:

If the server dies the configuration of clients still needs to be adapted to a another server. This involves manual configuration on the clients. Using passive checks at whole would possibly work but it is a performance killer on both server and clients. So it should be at least possible to configure backup server ip on the clients.
I believe this is already mostly possible. Redundancy on the server level can be accomplished with a package like heartbeat or whatever its equivalent is these days. I know that agents can already be configured with multiple zabbix servers. However, this is a failover configuration - load balancing would be nice!

Quote:
Using virtual ip addresses for services gets more and more importance in enterprise environment. It should be possible to add and select from multiple ipv4/6 addresses to an interface either in host configuration and also for adding items.
Could you expand on this?

Quote:
Of course there are a lot of other features important for hosting i am not aware of.
We wouldn't want Alexi to get bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero View Post
If I were to offer zabbix as a service, I would have multiple instances. Trying to have all your customers on a single instance seems quite suicidal to me.

The main problem to me with remotely hosted services is security. You would have to setup some kind of VPN and you should trust the service provider (who somehow as access to all your services as user zabbix if monitoring scripts are not carefully written).
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, but maybe I don't know better. I have quite a few customers on my existing shared Zabbix platform - it seems to work just fine and customers are not aware of each other's existence. What are the risks?

Also, what are the security implications of running a zabbix active check over the internet? My understanding is that the active checks are simply 'Agent, please check this thing that you know how to check, and give me a value', and 'OK, that thing's value is x'.

Given that Agents are restricted by server IP address, isn't this already rather secure - especially if firewall rules are used to only open the agent port to the correct IP?
Old 15-09-2009, 11:40

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with your assessment, but maybe I don't know better. I have quite a few customers on my existing shared Zabbix platform - it seems to work just fine and customers are not aware of each other's existence. What are the risks?
Security ?
Stability ?

Of course it depends on how much control you want to give to users.

Quote:
Also, what are the security implications of running a zabbix active check over the internet? My understanding is that the active checks are simply 'Agent, please check this thing that you know how to check, and give me a value', and 'OK, that thing's value is x'.

Given that Agents are restricted by server IP address, isn't this already rather secure - especially if firewall rules are used to only open the agent port to the correct IP?
The problem is more on the client side: zabbix_agentd acts somehow as a trojan horse executing orders from a remote box. As a customer I'd be a bit reluctant to have all of my servers get instructions from a remote box without proper authentication, and over an unencrypted channel.

VPN or SSL would be required. And again, I don't like the idea of having anyone not inhouse having some kind of remote shell to all of my servers.

But then again it depends of what type of monitoring we're talking about and how sensitive monitored devices are. You could use a zabbix proxy + SNMP which would be quite harmless.