ZABBIX Forums  
Old 10-11-2005, 04:08

Default Email sending with date 1969

I posted this in the wrong forum...

1. No queue showing up, not that it matters, but I hear everyone mentioning it but mine is completly empty

2. EMails being sent with date 12/31/1969 7:00PM, date on the server is fine. All Zabbix apps are running, Suckerd and Trapperd as well as Agentd on main server)

Number 1 is not really a concern as everything works just fine, however, the email date is a big issue. Please help.
Old 10-11-2005, 16:53

Greetings,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostnode
1. No queue showing up, not that it matters, but I hear everyone mentioning it but mine is completly empty
This is not really that big an issue, depending on your server and network performance. For example, I am monitoring roughly 200 machines with roughly 3K items on one of my installs. The Zabbix server, which also hosts the MySQL DB, is an old dual PIII-733, with 512M RAM, and it is not uncommon for the queue to be zero.

What the queue is showing is simply how many checks Zabbix is going to be processing in the next 5 / 10 / 30 seconds, 1 / 5 minutes or 5+ minutes. As such, depending on the periodicity of your checks it's not uncommon for this to show all zeros at some times and 1K+ at other times.

To be honest, the only thing that should be of concern here is if the queue grows unexpectedly, or sits at a high number for long periods of time. This generally indicates that your Zabbix server is unable to maintain the operational tempo you have it running at.

Quote:
2. EMails being sent with date 12/31/1969 7:00PM, date on the server is fine. All Zabbix apps are running, Suckerd and Trapperd as well as Agentd on main server)
This is generally a system level configuration problem. Zabbix itself, uses the local system time for all time stamps. When it generates an email however, it uses the local time for data, but the email server actually creates the time stamps for the emails themselves. Right off the bat, I would suggest checking the time sync on your Zabbix Server, your mail server, and even your MySQL server, just in case.
Old 11-11-2005, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wells
This is generally a system level configuration problem. Zabbix itself, uses the local system time for all time stamps. When it generates an email however, it uses the local time for data, but the email server actually creates the time stamps for the emails themselves. Right off the bat, I would suggest checking the time sync on your Zabbix Server, your mail server, and even your MySQL server, just in case.
Well, the mail server/mysql server/Zabbix server are one and the same, here is the date readout

Code:
root@genesis [~]# date
Fri Nov 11 09:17:56 EST 2005
root@genesis [~]#
Now does each application run with its own time? For instanc the emails are sent though localhost, would my SMTP server not be synced for any reason with the main system time, if so how would I check.fix it? And if this were the case, would every email I send though this server (my main EMail server) not have the same date and time on it as well..?
Old 13-11-2005, 04:52

Please do help as this is an urgent matter. We go into production in less than a month and I have to test to make sure this product works... if I cannot find out the times via email this is not gonna work... there has to be a rational explanation as to why it out emails aith a time stamp of 12/31/1969 7:00PM.

Here are some details to help you out

System TIme is correct
NET SNMP is current version
EXIM is being used as SMTP server
cPanel is installed on the machine

Please someone has had to have this happen, either durning testing or something...

Is there any other checks you would like me to do ? Let me know so I can resolve this quickly. This product is awsome, I love it, but this is a major fucntion for audits that I need to keep track of. No other product is this organized, and if I have to go else where it will be MY loss. Please help!

Last edited by Lostnode; 13-11-2005 at 04:54.
Old 14-11-2005, 00:53

Ok, how about a work around? SOme how get the time stamp into the message? Like it does for the alerts them selves... atleast this way I can tell via the message what the time was...

Also, this being an email issue... my triggers which are set up with this as a message (for example)

Code:
Host status: {PlutoniumDomains.com:status.last(0)}  (latest value)
Host status: {PlutoniumDomains.com:status.max(300)} (maximum value for last 5 min)
Host status: {PlutoniumDomains.com:status.min(300)} (minimum value for last 5 min)
However my message is always the exact same as the subject. It does not give me the latest data. Is this usual?

And would it all have to do with the fact that I have it set up for scope being all triggers? Could that have effected the display and the date? I will test and post my ow results as this stread seems to be dead other than my posts.

Last edited by Lostnode; 14-11-2005 at 01:01.
Old 14-11-2005, 14:48

Send a message via AIM to elkor

When you change the scope beyond a single trigger, it seems that zabbix can no longer autotranslate any items that may be included in the message body for an action so it just sends a generic body.

as for the email time.... can you send mail from the command prompt, and does it send with the correct time. This simply doesn't sound like a zabbix issue.
Old 14-11-2005, 17:43

Your right, it just sends a generic message which means I will prolly redo all the actrionsthis week.

However sending mail directly from the ssh prompt results in an email with the correct time. I have tried both as the root user and the zabbix user, both were time stamped correctly. How does Zabbix send mail? using sendmail commands, the php mail function, or using a script to send it via the bash mail command?

All time stamps on the server that I could find are all corect...

Last edited by Lostnode; 14-11-2005 at 18:04.
Old 15-11-2005, 15:20

Do you think that would be fixed in 1.1? If so I will update.
Old 15-11-2005, 15:27

Here is what gets me though... the header has the received and delivery time correct.

Delivery time: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 04:06:10 -0500
Received: from [127.0.0.1] (helo=localhost ident=[U2FsdGVkX19mrcn83FnNiDcJ+TXz6zRRlWGRSA94ms0=]) by genesis.digitalfingerprint.net with smtp (Exim 4.52) id 1EbwlP-0004rh-4v for monitor@serversmadeeasy.com; Tue, 15 Nov 2005 04:06:03 -0500

But it still shows up as 1969.....
Old 15-11-2005, 15:30

Squirellmail doesn't give it a date of 1969, it just says Unknown date. Does this make any sense? Its not beig sent with a date?