ZABBIX Forums  

Go Back   ZABBIX Forums > Zabbix Discussions and Feedback > Zabbix Suggestions and Feedback

Old 18-09-2011, 12:50

Default Monitoring multiple application instances per server

I've seen questions here and there how to monitor multiple instances of the same service running on the same physical machine - with nothing elegant or scalable suggested.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There are two solutions I see for this, both require extending Zabbix. I'd like to receive feedback on them prior to deciding what to do next.

1) Parametrized templates

Implementation:
  • Introduce a concept of "abstract template" or "compile-time macros".
    Upon linking with such template, a new template is generated with these macros substituted with given parameters. The generated template's attributes cannot be edited beyond what is available for a host attribute linked to a template. Upon altering the base template, the generated ones are regenerated.
  • Since such templates can be linked to others, an ability to link to a specific nested template multiple times has to be added as well (implies reference counting for correct unlinking and such).

Pros:
  • "Natural" way of representation - everything regarding a server is within its host entry. In the hosts list, one can see all instances of all apps assigned to the machine (in "linked templates")
  • The "abstract templates" make a basis for distributable libraries of templates to monitor all sorts of apps
  • The service templates can make use of any other information available about the host: say, make triggers depend on "Ping failed"

Cons:
  • Very complex design - a few new concepts and a whole new level of abstraction. A lot of work to implement this
  • Complicates data view greatly - a server entry becomes very large and inconvenient to view. Entries of different instances must be labelled somehow to distinguish between them
  • Any inter-host logic has to be duplicated at intra-host level

2) Separate host entry for each service instance
Implementation:
  • Zabbix agent (active) must be made to support gathering info on several host entries at the same time. Specification variants: comma-separated list, any entries with the IP the agent is running at (it's better not implement wildcards - host entry names shall not be compound).
  • Currently, this can be achieved by running several zabbix agents with different config files. But this requires supporting a multitude of files that are almost identical, and reconfiguration on client side is required after the list changes on the server side.

Pros:
  • Very simple design, little changes needed
  • Distributable templates can still be compiled

Cons:
  • The link between the "base" host entry and its service entries is lost. To add the aforementioned trigger dependency, I have to do it manually or link every service entry to a "ping" template (and receive multiple notifications if it fires unless some trickery is done)

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, which way shall we go?
Old 24-10-2011, 21:06

Instead of auxiliary "generated macros", substituting "compile-time templates" can be introduced into the process of replicating templates' entities into hosts. This simplifies updates (the items needing change can still be tracked by templateid).

Last edited by __Vano; 24-10-2011 at 21:10.
Old 20-10-2012, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Vano View Post
Instead of auxiliary "generated macros", substituting "compile-time templates" can be introduced into the process of replicating templates' entities into hosts. This simplifies updates (the items needing change can still be tracked by templateid).
I may have failed to emphasize this. The quoted suggestion eliminates the aforementioned "whole new level of abstraction" and "complex design". The 1st option becomes but an addition to the existing template linking and tracking algorithms.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:10

I would love to see something like this implemenented. I have this problem too and Zabbix doesn't offer an easy solution for this.

I finally tried using some sort of
Quote:
1) Parametrized templates
doing a search and replace of a placeholder name for separating the template and such, for instance, I had a template with the name:

Code:
<xml>
(...)
$SERVICE - blabla blabla
(...)
</xml>
And then I do something like

Code:
sed -s '$SERVICE/service1' template.xml > service1.xml
And then I manually imported to Zabbix. This wasn't pretty neither functional, because if I had to make a change in the template then I'd have to replicate manually (replacing aka compiling the template and importing it) so I don't recommend this. We aren't using this anymore.

How other monitoring solutions resolve the "multiple instances of the same application in the same host" problem?
Old 24-10-2012, 20:07

Why isn't LLD suitable?

I have multiple instance of the same application running on a box.
I have created a simple JSON file that contains one "Record" for each instance.

Would that be suitable?

Obviously you can change the JSON flat file with a python/perl/bash scripts that autodiscover the services you are after.
Old 24-10-2012, 20:08

Oh Sorry I didn't realise this is an old post.
Old 24-10-2012, 20:56

For LLD to work it depends on what interface your items are using to be monitored. For instance, it doesn't really work well with the standard Zabbix JMX interface. This is a pain point for us at my company when it comes to using Zabbix. The example I have is if we're running multiple Tomcat instances on the same host, even with low level discovery to discover both of those instances this would just allow me to have dynamic items/triggers but really what we would need is another JMX interface for each port to be created for each instance.

Today, the approach we have for it is just to treat each Tomcat instance as it's own host but this is also really isn't ideal. For instance we have:

MyHost <--- Linux server, apply Linux template
MyHost-Tomcat4500 <---- First Tomcat instance running on MyHost on port 4500 - apply Tomcat template
MyHost-Tomcat4600 <---- Second Tomcat instance running on MyHost on port 4600 - apply Tomcat template

So unfortunately the linking between the hosts is only through a naming convention. This does look better on the Overview screen though as I can view the same items side by side for comparison i.e. compare heap usage across all Tomcat servers.
Old 13-02-2014, 11:13

Hi, I'm happy to see we're not the only one facing this issue.
Has there been any recent development in regard to this feature?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 02:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrupp View Post
For LLD to work it depends on what interface your items are using to be monitored. For instance, it doesn't really work well with the standard Zabbix JMX interface. This is a pain point for us at my company when it comes to using Zabbix. The example I have is if we're running multiple Tomcat instances on the same host, even with low level discovery to discover both of those instances this would just allow me to have dynamic items/triggers but really what we would need is another JMX interface for each port to be created for each instance.

Today, the approach we have for it is just to treat each Tomcat instance as it's own host but this is also really isn't ideal. For instance we have:

MyHost <--- Linux server, apply Linux template
MyHost-Tomcat4500 <---- First Tomcat instance running on MyHost on port 4500 - apply Tomcat template
MyHost-Tomcat4600 <---- Second Tomcat instance running on MyHost on port 4600 - apply Tomcat template

So unfortunately the linking between the hosts is only through a naming convention. This does look better on the Overview screen though as I can view the same items side by side for comparison i.e. compare heap usage across all Tomcat servers.
I've recently created a discovering rule to monitor multiple instances of a JBoss server. The discovering script uses a tool called twiddle to gather information about ports. This could also be done examining .xml config files, but for some reason I've selected twiddle to be the tool.

After using twiddle for gathering JBoss JNP ports, I've created a JSON object that returns those ports as data. Now, the discovering rules have filled my macros with values and I can create a Prototype Item.

This is my agent side script for discovering, called: zabbix_lld_jnp_ports.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash                                                                                                                                      

if [[ $1 == "" ]]; then
    exit
fi

SERVER_IP=$1
# partition name has been removed, use your own
PARTITION=<partition-name>
TWIDDLE=/opt/twiddle/twiddle.sh

# user and password have been removed, use your own
JNP_PORTS=$(${TWIDDLE} -s ${SERVER_IP} -u <user> -p <password> get "jboss:service=HAPartition,partition=${PARTITION}" CurrentView | \
           grep -o "${SERVER_IP}:[0-9]*" | \
           cut -d':' -f 2)

JSON=""
for PORT in ${JNP_PORTS};
do
    SERVER_NAME=$(${TWIDDLE} -s ${SERVER_IP}:${PORT} -u <user> -p <password> get --noprefix "jboss.system:type=ServerConfig" ServerName)
    JSON="${JSON:+$JSON,\n}\t\t{ \"{#JBOSS_INSTANCE}\":\"${SERVER_NAME}\", \"{#JNP_PORT}\":\"${PORT}\", \"{#AJP_PORT}\":\"$((PORT+6910))\"}"
done

JSON="{\n\t\"data\": [\n${JSON}\n\t]\n}\n"

echo -e ${JSON}
That produces items for each data returned by the JSON. For example, if you have a JSON like this one:

Code:
{
	"data": [
		{ "{#JBOSS_INSTANCE}":"instance1", "{#JNP_PORT}":"1399"}, "{#AJP_PORT}":"8309"},
		{ "{#JBOSS_INSTANCE}":"instance2", "{#JNP_PORT}":"1299"}, "{#AJP_PORT}":"8209"}
	]
}
And this is my UserParameter config in zabbix_agentd.conf file:

Code:
UserParameter=twiddle[*],/opt/twiddle/twiddle.sh -s <ip>:$4 -u <user> -p <password> $1 $2 $3|cut -d"=" -f2
UserParameter=jnp.ports.discovery[*],/opt/zabbix_lld/zabbix_lld_jnp_ports.sh $1
Then, I've added a discovery rule with key:

Code:
jnp.ports.discovery[{HOST.IP}]
The prototypes items are added then, for example, with key:
Code:
twiddle[get,"jboss.web:type=ThreadPool,name=ajp-{HOST.IP}-{#AJP_PORT}",currentThreadCount,{#JNP_PORT}]
It will generate 2 items with these keys:

Code:
twiddle[get,"jboss.web:type=ThreadPool,name=ajp-{HOST.IP}-8390",currentThreadCount,1399]
twiddle[get,"jboss.web:type=ThreadPool,name=ajp-{HOST.IP}-8290",currentThreadCount,1299]
Now, this could be fine to monitor one specific thing por a particular instance. If you have more than one service to monitor for each instance, it becames tedious.

The main problem is how to generate JSON data that doesn't repeat itself, and it can be filtered in a rule.

Last edited by gentunian; 11-04-2014 at 23:50.
Old 12-04-2014, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Vano View Post
I've seen questions here and there how to monitor multiple instances of the same service running on the same physical machine - with nothing elegant or scalable suggested.
[..]
So, which way shall we go?
One thing. On Zabbix database layer all such items which will be multiple instances of monitoring of the same object/application would be just normal items assigned to templates with different itemid etc.
If you will be able to have look on this from this end you can easily gain point with conclusion that all what you need it is set of zabbix modifications only on presentation layer. Which means in this case -> web interface.
Only this and nothing more ..

At the moment monitoring of multiple instances of the same resource on monitored host can be done by LLD which shows that problem is almost-solved .. from data (in database) representation point of view. Using LLD in such needs when you know exactly how many instances of some objects type A on Box X makes this only dynamic-like when monitored object is fully static, which makes whole approach a little artificial.

Again: from zabbix data representation point of view monitoring of multiple instances of some application is doable and possible even now.
All what is needed is only set of presentation layer solution.