ZABBIX Forums  
Old 10-04-2016, 19:29

Cool Template Screens

One of the most powerful features of Zabbix is having screens automatically generated by templates. But I fear that most users don't take advantage of them because they can't find them once they are generated and they don't understand how prototypes will be displayed.

I work in a large environment and we don't have the resources or time to create custom screens for each server, so this feature is critical to monitoring new deployments.

So here are some suggestions to the Zabbix development team on how to make screens in templates more useful:

1. Provide direct access to template-generated screens. I can find no direct tabs or links, and they do not show up on the "Screens" page. The only way I can find them is to use the "search" feature (top right on main page) to search for the device name, then click on the "screens" link for the device.

2. Provide a way to filter auto-discovered items in screens. I may not want every discovery prototype set. Or maybe a pull-down to select sets of discovered items with the same discovery macro key.

3. Provide a way to mark template-generated screens as "favorites". There is no "favorite" button on screens generated by templates.

4. DOCUMENTATION for template screens. This is key. I spent quite a bit of time just figuring out how to access them and how prototypes will be generated in them.

These simple things will make screens that are generated by templates far more useful!

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:59

Direct access and filtering are already implemented.
Only missing thing is marking screens as favorites.
Old 11-04-2016, 16:57

Excellent! How do I access them directly?

Like I said, I hunted around and was unable to find any template-generated screens except using the search function.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:33

1. Search -> enter hostname or pattern -> click on Screens column
2. Triggers list (Monitoring -> Dashboard or Monitoring Triggers) -> click on hostname -> choose Host screens
3. Inventory -> hosts -> click on hostname -> Screens
Old 12-04-2016, 17:11

But you're using the search function. That's my point.

The only method to access screens generated from a template is by using the search function, which is counter-intuitive.

The generated screens should be listed in the tab with all the other screens, not just accessible using search (not to mention that having to use the search feature to get to them is not well documented).

Most of the Zabbix interface is fairly intuitive and end users expect that clicking on the monitoring "screens" tab will show all screens... including those generated by templates, not just custom ones.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2016, 17:14

#2. This assumes you're populating the inventory, which we don't, so no hosts listed.

#3. You can only get to the screen when a trigger for that host has been fired. We don't just look at alerts, but also would like to see the screen for trending.
Old 12-04-2016, 17:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrucks View Post
But you're using the search function. That's my point.
It is only one way of accessing to hosts screens.
I understand as probably you have few hosts you may have impression that browsing list of hists is obvious way and even easier.
Trust me that it does not work so well if you have few hundredths or more than +1k hosts.
I forgot about yet another possibility which is by click on the host when it is on the map.

Quote:
The only method to access screens generated from a template is by using the search function, which is counter-intuitive.
It is .. not entirely true :P
I've already gave you recipes how you can access to host screens and above you have yet another one :P
Even if accessing to those screens is a bit counter-intuitive really I don't think that it is kind of issue.
You need to propose how to improve current interface without breaking how people are accessing to hosts screens

Quote:
The generated screens should be listed in the tab with all the other screens, not just accessible using search (not to mention that having to use the search feature to get to them is not well documented).
You may have impression that as you are able to access to screens over Monitoring->Screens those templated per screens are the same type of object. Here is small surprise .. they are not
Try to co to co Configuration-> Screens-> <screen_name> and click on "change" link. After this try to list types of objects which you can add to global screens.
After this go to Configuration -> templates-> click on some template "Screens" which already have some screens -> go to edit screen -> go to list of possible objects which you can place in screen.
If you will have those two variants opened in separated tabs you can see what is the difference.

Quote:
Most of the Zabbix interface is fairly intuitive and end users expect that clicking on the monitoring "screens" tab will show all screens... including those generated by templates, not just custom ones.
Sometimes on accessing to some data presentation layer less important is how much intuitive is interface and does interface provides all possibly necessary data in context of some part of presentation layer.

I think that zabbix has quite good balance between those two targets which are sometimes lays on completely orthogonal lines/surfaces.

If there is no already opened jira for feature request on https://support.zabbix.com/ about adding hosts screens to favorites I think that in screens favorites should be possible to add host screen as same as it is possible in case favorite graphs.
Old 09-03-2017, 21:20

sorry for bringing this back to life, is there still no way to get a templated screen into the dashboard? (ZBX 3.4 as of this posting)
All I'm attempting to do is *not* rewrite a whole screen I imported so that I can easily access it from the dashboard... (I could manually add every graph the templated one has but... seriously?)
Old 10-03-2017, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulvc View Post
sorry for bringing this back to life, is there still no way to get a templated screen into the dashboard? (ZBX 3.4 as of this posting)
All I'm attempting to do is *not* rewrite a whole screen I imported so that I can easily access it from the dashboard... (I could manually add every graph the templated one has but... seriously?)
if part of your dashboard is list of active triggers just click on "Host" column and at the end you will find "Host Screens".
Old 30-11-2017, 21:52

Good afternoon,

I'd like to pop in and see if anybody found a resolution to this.

I do not understand why templated screens cannot show up directly in the Monitoring -> Screens section of the front end?

I think my question revolves around the exchange just above:

"Most of the Zabbix interface is fairly intuitive and end users expect that clicking on the monitoring "screens" tab will show all screens... including those generated by templates, not just custom ones."

"Sometimes on accessing to some data presentation layer less important is how much intuitive is interface and does interface provides all possibly necessary data in context of some part of presentation layer. "

I think I do not understand the second part. How are templated screens too different/complex to be added into the Monitoring-> Screens page?

Many thanks for all the work on this wonderful system and for helping us troubleshoot!

Last edited by snicolas; 30-11-2017 at 21:55. Reason: adding info from previous posts more closely read

Tags
prototypes, screen, screens, template, templates