Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traceroute

Hi

usually I only pings the hosts to know if they are up or down. But latelly, I have had some network issues where is hard to know what happen and if the issue is at my side or datacenter site.

Nothing special, add Host, use iccmping value (fping) and returns 1 and 0

Then trigger activate the action and I get an email

But Is there any option or procedure to make some traceroute from zabbix to host automatically and send it to email?

I have noticed in Scripts there are two

Ping
    Traceroute

But I don't know how to use it.

Do you know some way to approach to my goal?

Thanks

We're running 'mtr' on a few of our gateway nodes so that we can diagnose what went wrong when Zabbix alerted us of issues with the latency/ping. Please just take note that you'll need to install mtr on the host before it will work, because its typically not included in a default Linux install.

So we added the following line to the gateway's Zabbix agent configuration file:
    Code:
    UserParameter=mtr[*],/usr/sbin/mtr --no-dns --report --report-cycles=1 $1
    Then in Zabbix we configure an Active agent item that runs mtr once every 10 seconds and keeps the history for a single day only. Like to do a traceroute to 8.8.8.8, we'll add an item with the key: 'mtr[8.8.8.8]'

You can even go as far as to modify your latency/ping trigger's expression to include the traceroute item too, and then modify your Action to include the values of the first 2 items.
    eg. A trigger expression that includes icmpping + traceroute:
    Code:
    {googledns:icmpping.sum(#3)}=0|{myhost:mtr[8.8.8.8].nodata(5m)}=0
    eg. Our Action description:
    Code:
    Affected Host name: {HOSTNAME}
    Current Time: {TIME}

Trigger Details:
    Name: {TRIGGER.NAME}
    Severity: {TRIGGER.SEVERITY}
    Event Time: {EVENT.TIME}
    Event Details: https://our.monitoring.server/zabbix/events.php?triggerid={TRIGGER.ID}&period=3600
    URL: {TRIGGER.URL}
    Comments: {TRIGGER.COMMENT}

Current Item Values (not necessarily the value used in the trigger):
    1. {ITEM.NAME1} ({HOSTNAME1}:{TRIGGER.KEY1}): {ITEM.VALUE1}
    2. {ITEM.NAME2} ({HOSTNAME2}:{TRIGGER.KEY2}): {ITEM.VALUE2}
    3. {ITEM.NAME3} ({HOSTNAME3}:{TRIGGER.KEY3}): {ITEM.VALUE3}

Item Contacts:
    1. {PROFILE.CONTACT1}
    2. {PROFILE.CONTACT2}
    3. {PROFILE.CONTACT3}

Comment

Traceroute

To reply to the above message.

Thank you for your help in getting MTR reporting to Zabbix for me. I have started running Zabbix agent on a Raspberry Pi and reporting the MTR output to Zabbix.

The only difference in what you suggested above is that I used a standard Zabbix Agent rather than a Zabbix Active Agent as this is the only method that would report the data in Zabbix GUI. Even though the below worked;

zabbix_get -s (dest-ip) -I (src-ip) -p 10050 -k mtr[4.2.2.2]

Now I am working on how to constructively use this data to improve our network monitoring.

Thanks,
      David

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X