Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB

In Zabbix Log:
    015399:20070913:164240 SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.

Code:
    015399:20070913:164240 SNMP error [(noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.]
    015390:20070913:164324 SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.

015390:20070913:164324 SNMP error [(noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.]
    015361:20070913:164345 SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.

015361:20070913:164345 SNMP error [(noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.]
    How find what item is wrong? (I use only numeric OIDs)

SELECT count(*) FROM `items` where `error` <>'';
    count(*)

zabbix 1.1.7

What is the OID?
    Have you tried to fetch the values using the 'snmpget' or 'snmpwalk' commands from the net-snmp tools?

Markus

Comment

Originally posted by Markus
      What is the OID?
      Have you tried to fetch the values using the 'snmpget' or 'snmpwalk' commands from the net-snmp tools?

Markus
      In zabbix I have ~1000 SNMP items on 50 hosts, I don't know which item is wrong.
      Last edited by den_crane; 14-09-2007, 08:14.

Comment

Solution is:

SELECT *
        FROM items
        WHERE STATUS =3

Comment

Best Solution to this problem

The following code change to /src/zabbix_server/poller/checks_snmp.c will provide the needed info in the log file:

Code:
          if (status == STAT_SUCCESS)
          {
            zabbix_log( LOG_LEVEL_WARNING, "SNMP error in packet. <%s:%s> Reason: %s\n", item->host_ip, item->snmp_oid,
            snmp_errstring(response->errstat));
            if(response->errstat == SNMP_ERR_NOSUCHNAME)
             {
               zbx_snprintf(error,sizeof(error),"SNMP error <%s:%s> [%s]", item->host_ip, item->snmp_oid,

zabbix_log( LOG_LEVEL_ERR, "%s", error);
               SET_MSG_RESULT(value, strdup(error));

ret=NOTSUPPORTED;
             }
            else
             {
               zbx_snprintf(error,sizeof(error),"SNMP error <%s:%s> [%s]", item->host_ip, item->snmp_oid,

zabbix_log( LOG_LEVEL_ERR, "%s", error);
               SET_MSG_RESULT(value, strdup(error));

ret=NOTSUPPORTED;
            }
          }
          The only lines that are changed are the zbx_snprintf, with the <...> and parameters added (and the first zabbix_log().

This REALLY needs to be incorporated into the code base. The addition of the host name (ip) and oid will allow you to actually figure out the problem.

Comment

Agree

That addition to the code is badly needed. There are too many objects to be so vague about which item/trigger/etc is causing the problem!

Comment

thanks for this patch!
              I modified it even more :
              Code:
              zbx_snprintf(error,sizeof(error),"SNMP error at host <%s> for OID <%s> [%s]", item->host_ip, item->snmp_oid,
              But this line in my log makes me a bit worrying:
              netsnmp_assert pss->s_snmp_errno != (-11) failed snmp_api.c:3124 snmp_build()
              What's that?

Just for my information:
              Why is there the it-then-else determination?
              I don't find any differense between then and else block...
              Big ZABBIX is watching you!
              (... and my 48 hosts, 4513 items, 1280 triggers via zabbix v1.6 on CentOS 5.0)

Comment

I believe this is a problem of underlying net-snmp library. You may try to use different version of net-snmp-dev.
                Alexei Vladishev
                Creator of Zabbix, Product manager
                New York | Tokyo | Riga
                My Twitter

Comment

Damn, my version 5.3.1-15.fc6 ist the latest for my OS Fedora Core 6.

So i'll just ignore that error as it seems to be a non-critical one :-/

If someone knows how to make yum install a more recent version, let me know...
                  Big ZABBIX is watching you!
                  (... and my 48 hosts, 4513 items, 1280 triggers via zabbix v1.6 on CentOS 5.0)

Comment

update re: SNMP error in packet. Reason: (noSuchName)

Zabbix 1.5.3 CentOS5-x64

Taking Alexei's suggestion, I upgraded net-snmp-[everything] from 5.3.1-19 to 5.3.1-24 and recompiled server but there is no change. Still getting loads of noSuchName errors. The patch for checks_snmp.c for 1.4.x worked great - then i upgraded to 1.5.3. Cannot apply these patches to 1.5.3 as the code is different and i'm not skilled enough to dissect it. A previous message made the very valid point that the patches should have made their way into a >1.4.x version. Can we have a patched checks_snmp.c with these mods? Should be a snip for a Zabbix developer!

thanks

PS: fc6 is stuck at 5.3.1-15.fc8.i386.rpm (see pbone), whereas fc9 is as cutting edge as it gets with 5.4.1-7.fc8.i386.rpm. If you need the very newest or a newer net-snmp for fc6, you'll have to compile from source. However, no other OS has net-snmp RPMs at v5.4.

Comment

D'oh. Found the section in snmp_checks.c that require the above edits and nothing has changed from 1.4.2 after all. Works great, too - a real timesaver. Zabbix, please patch snmp_checks.c for v1.6?

Originally posted by CeeEss View Post
                      Zabbix 1.5.3 CentOS5-x64

Taking Alexei's suggestion, I upgraded net-snmp-[everything] from 5.3.1-19 to 5.3.1-24 and recompiled server but there is no change. Still getting loads of noSuchName errors. The patch for checks_snmp.c for 1.4.x worked great - then i upgraded to 1.5.3. Cannot apply these patches to 1.5.3 as the code is different and i'm not skilled enough to dissect it. A previous message made the very valid point that the patches should have made their way into a >1.4.x version. Can we have a patched checks_snmp.c with these mods? Should be a snip for a Zabbix developer!

thanks

PS: fc6 is stuck at 5.3.1-15.fc8.i386.rpm (see pbone), whereas fc9 is as cutting edge as it gets with 5.4.1-7.fc8.i386.rpm. If you need the very newest or a newer net-snmp for fc6, you'll have to compile from source. However, no other OS has net-snmp RPMs at v5.4.

Comment

For what it is worth, I upgraded from net-snmp-devel-5.3.1-19.el5 to net-snmp-devel-5.3.1-24.el5 and the problem went away. (on RHEL5)

Comment

I reup this thread since I'm experiencing the same error:

"SNMP error [(noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.]"

CentOS release 5.3 x86_64 (Final)

#rpm -qa|grep net-snmp
                          net-snmp-libs-5.3.2.2-5.el5
                          net-snmp-5.3.2.2-5.el5
                          net-snmp-devel-5.3.2.2-5.el5
                          net-snmp-utils-5.3.2.2-5.el5

ZABBIX 1.6.4

any tips?

snmpwalk and snmpget work without any problems.

Cheers,
                          Alf

Comment

Hey alfiere,

Possibly a bit late to help you, but thought I'd post in case it helps anyone else.

I was having the same problems as described:-
                            * Zabbix 1.6.5
                            * CentOS with up to date net-snmp
                            * OID's that worked fine with net-snmp (both snmpget and snmpwalk)
                            Zabbix gave an error of "SNMP error [(noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.]"

As it turns out it was a simple thing - my OID's had trailing spaces in the item definition (e.g. ".1.2.3.4.5 ") - once I'd removed them everything was OK.

I'd created the items through an XML import and accidentally included trailing spaces in the definition there (e.g. <snmp_oid>.1.3.6.1.4.1.15.2.1.2 </snmp_oid> and key=".1.3.6.1.4.1.15.1.1 ").

Comment

use name of OID as key

use name of OID as key

Comment

Working...
                              X