Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authenticated SMTP How-To

Here is a quick guide to setting up authenticated SMTP with Zabbix:

As Zabbix doesn't natively support authenticated SMTP, you'll need to call an external SMTP client to do this for you. I use NBSMTP as a light-weight SMTP client...

1) Download the latest version of nbsmtp

http://nbsmtp.ferdyx.org/

2) Compile nbsmtp with the following options (using /usr/local/nbsmtp as an example installation directory)

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nbsmtp --enable-ssl
    make
    make install

3) Create an script that can be called from Zabbix (by default, scripts are located in the zabbix/bin directory). Let's call this script smtp-auth

smtp-auth should contain something like the following (change the variables to suit you. $1,$2,$3 are variables you set in the Zabbix PHP front end)

#!/bin/sh

export [email protected]
    export zabbixemailto=$1
    export zabbixsubject=$2
    export zabbixbody=$3
    export smtpdomain=mydomain.com
    export smtpserver=mail.mydomain.com
    export smtplogin=mylogin
    export smtppass=mypass

echo "From: \"Zabbix Monitor\" <$smtpemailfrom>" > /tmp/mymailinput
    echo "To: $zabbixemailto" >> /tmp/mymailinput
    echo "Subject: $zabbixsubject" >> /tmp/mymailinput
    echo "" >> /tmp/mymailinput
    echo "This is an automated alert from Zabbix Network Monitoring. The mess
    age is $zabbixbody" >> /tmp/mymailinput

/usr/local/bin/nbsmtp -d $smtpdomain -f $smtpemailfrom -h
    $smtpserver -U $smtplogin -P $smtppass-S < /tmp/mymailinput

Save the smtp-auth script and make sure that it is executable. You can create a dummy /tmp/mymailinput script to test that you can successfully send email through your authenticated smtp server.

So, the way this now works is that when an alert/action occurs in Zabbix, it should now call the smtp-auth script. Zabbix should pass in values for $1, $2, $3, the script calls nbstmp, and nbsmtp accepts the message in standard smtp format from /tmp/mymailinput.

Mark
    Last edited by markpr; 29-03-2006, 22:34.

Well done. Thank you!

Comment

Alternatively you can use sendEmail.

1) apt-get install sendEmail

2) Create a script "zabbix_sendemail" (chmod 755) in the AlertScriptsPath folder specified by /etc/zabbix/zabbix_server.conf
      --------------------------------------
      #!/bin/sh

export [email protected]
      export zabbixemailto=$1
      export zabbixsubject=$2
      export zabbixbody=$3
      export smtpserver=yoursmtpserver.com
      export smtplogin=smtpuser
      export smtppass=smtppassword

/usr/bin/sendEmail -f $smtpemailfrom -t $zabbixemailto -u $zabbixsubject -m $zabbixbody -s $smtpserver:25 -xu $smtplogin -xp $smtppass
      --------------------------------------

3) Set the Action (Configurations / Actions in the php frontend)

4) Set the Media Type (Administration / Media types in the php frontend) script to zabbix_sendemail

5) Add the Media to the user (Administration / Users / user in php frontend)

Comment

Thanks to you both guys.

I got a solution.
        Will this method be implemented into Zabbix in future?

Comment

Thanx! It works well (I use second solution with sendEmail, which I consider as simpler one).

Best regards,
          Skygge.

Comment

delegate me !

Hey guys,

HEre is my contribution for my first post.
            I solved the same issue with "delegate" wich emulate all kinds of proxy :

1) Download delegate on the website or from your repositories ;
            2) Compile it if you have to, it's so simple : "make" on the folder ;
            3) "mv" it from ./src/ to /usr/bin/ directory
            4) run => delegated -v SERVER="smtp://yoursmtp.com" -P25 MYAUTH=$USER:$PW
            5) Its ok, you just have to set up localhost has your smtp server in zabbix

I can put the init.d script if someone is interested

Comment

the easiest and flexible solution to workaround smtp authentication ist to install a local mailer acting as smarthost. Suggestions for mailer daemon exim4 or postfix.

Comment

I'm agree for the flexible but not for the easiest !
                Everyone has'nt the knowledge to install an MTA.
                I've spent some night trying to install postfix and I prefere munch more to have a proxy.

Comment

your right with postfix. If you use debian/ubuntu its easiest to go with exim4.
                  You only need to configure for satellite and add credentials to the passwd.client.

Comment

Originally posted by tekknokrat View Post
                    your right with postfix. If you use debian/ubuntu its easiest to go with exim4.
                    You only need to configure for satellite and add credentials to the passwd.client.
                    Honesly, if you can do a 6 step tutorial, for a secured and closed smtp server with the nice redirection to an authenticated server, I'll switch to exim4 and you'll help a lots of people

Comment

thanks brow, this really helps.

Comment

Hi, I am not sure if this is helpful, but I have found this page that talks about various kinds of email authentication and SMTP http://www.smtp.com/corporate.html -- you have to scroll down to the section called "Reputation Guard". Sorry if this is not helpful, it might be coals to Newcastle.

Comment

Can you put the script of delegated?

Thanks

Comment

sendEmail

Thank you for this,

in case it's useful to anyone, I followed the sendEmail recipe but it failed silently.

I had to enclose the arguments inside quotes as per http://www.zabbix.com/forum/showpost...30&postcount=6

also I had to refer to the script by name, not full path.

Comment

I used dreas simple script and my zabbix audit>action logs showing that the mail is sent but I'm not receiving the mail

Here is my modified script:

#!/bin/sh

export [email protected]
                              export zabbixemailto=$1
                              export zabbixsubject=$2
                              export zabbixbody=$3
                              export smtpserver=localhost
                              export [email protected]
                              export smtppass=my-gmail-password

/usr/bin/sendEmail -f $smtpemailfrom -t $zabbixemailto -u $zabbixsubject -m $zabbixbody -s $smtpserver:25 -xu $smtplogin -xp $smtppass

When I manually execute the script replacing "export zabbixemailto=$1" with export zabbixemailto="[email protected]", I'm getting the following:

Sep 13 19:31:55 karmic9 sendEmail[14887]: Message input complete.
                              Sep 13 19:31:55 karmic9 sendEmail[14887]: NOTICE => Authentication not supported by the remote SMTP server!
                              Sep 13 19:31:56 karmic9 sendEmail[14887]: Email was sent successfully!

I can see mail in my inbox.

FYI,
                              I have postfix installed with gmail relay.
                              Plz need help

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X