Election of db server engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Election of db server engine

Hello, my name is Leonardo Santagostini and im working for a one large Datacenter in Argentina.

My question is wich is the best database engine / database strategy for growing at 1.5M items, nearly 9k hosts and 9.5k nvps

Actually im only monitoring two vmware clusters (9 k hosts 130000 items), i have to monitor: 14 xen clusters, 10 storages and about 20 6500 catalyst cisco. Im using mariadb 10.2 with maxscale in master -> multislave replication. But im concerned that maybe isnt sufficient.

I was thinking of using PostgreSQL with partioning. Cant use physical hosts for DB servers so RTC really sucks.

Hope you can give me some clue.

Yours, Leonardo

Hello and welcome to Zabbix forums!

In short - use the database engine you know the best. It does not matter if it is MySQL or PostgreSQL. Without a knowing administrator you will have very poor performance and if any issues will happen then you will have no help. Performance at this level is not significantly different. However, you will need to do lots of administration and tuning on the DB of your size anyways so it is better to use a tool which you can operate properly.

In your case I would personally go with MySQL and from the very beginning use partitioning with a script as described here: http://zabbix.org/wiki/Docs/howto/mysql_partitioning
    Since you plan a cluster then MySQL has great Master - Master clustering built in using GTID.

Additionally I have found that googling for issues about MySQL is easier than for Postgres. Hope this helps you with the decision.

Best Regards,
    Ingus

Comment

With a 1TB DB using MySql, I had a lot of problems. I migrated to Postgres about three years ago, since then I not have problems.

Comment

Thanks for your reply and comment. Do you use some clustering / replication strategy ?

Leonardo.

Comment

Originally posted by ingus.vilnis View Post
          Hello and welcome to Zabbix forums!

In short - use the database engine you know the best. It does not matter if it is MySQL or PostgreSQL. Without a knowing administrator you will have very poor performance and if any issues will happen then you will have no help. Performance at this level is not significantly different. However, you will need to do lots of administration and tuning on the DB of your size anyways so it is better to use a tool which you can operate properly.

In your case I would personally go with MySQL and from the very beginning use partitioning with a script as described here: http://zabbix.org/wiki/Docs/howto/mysql_partitioning
          Since you plan a cluster then MySQL has great Master - Master clustering built in using GTID.

Additionally I have found that googling for issues about MySQL is easier than for Postgres. Hope this helps you with the decision.

Best Regards,
          Ingus
          Thanks Ingus !!!

Comment

Ask questions to Zabbix Dev Team in person at the Zabbix Summit 2018!
          Working...
          X