Ad Widget

Collapse

Zabbix + PostgreSQL + TimescaleDB Usage Case

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • nada_korkm123
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2023
    • 2

    #1

    Zabbix + PostgreSQL + TimescaleDB Usage Case

    Hello, everyone.

    I'm considering using Timescale DB for large environment.​
    ​So, I'm curious about the use cases of Zabbix + Timescale DB for large environment.


    Please tell me the operating environment information that you use.
    help me.


    Example)
    - zabbix server
    zabbix server
    Zabbix server version 5.0 LTS
    PostgreSQL version 13.01
    TimescaleDB version 2.1
    connected host (count) 500
    - zabbix proxy
    zabbix proxy 1
    zabbix proxy version 5.0 LTS
    connected zabbix agent host (count) 100
    zabbix proxy2
    zabbix proxy version 5.0 LTS
    connected zabbix agent host (count) 150

    - zabbix agent
    zabbix agent
    zabbix agent version 5.0 LTS
    zabbix agent host (count) 250
    - snmp host
    SNMP Host
    count 250
  • cyber
    Senior Member
    Zabbix Certified SpecialistZabbix Certified Professional
    • Dec 2006
    • 4984

    #2
    If you go with LTS, then why previous one and not 6.0?
    It is not particularly large, what you show here..

    So what's you concern? How powerful of a machine(s) you need? Maybe lets start with what you have there and we may tell you if that's enough.. ?

    Those 250 SNMP hosts... I would add another proxy for those or assign them to those 2 proxies also... Do not let server poll anything.

    ​

    Comment


    • nada_korkm123
      nada_korkm123 commented
      Editing a comment
      The table above is a template.
      If you have experience using Timescale DB for large environment, it would be helpful if you briefly share the environment.

      I am considering using TimescaleDB for environment with close to 2000 hosts.
      If you have experience using for large environment, please share.
  • nada_korkm123
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2023
    • 2

    #3
    If you have any experience using timescale DB for large environment.
    I am curious about the environment you have experienced.

    This is an example that I suggested because I wanted to know what it would be like if you share the environment information you have experienced like the example in the table above.
    ​If you share your experience of using TImescaleDB for large environment, I think it will be very helpful. ​
    Attached Files

    Comment

    • roy_li
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2022
      • 10

      #4
      I have not used PostgreSQL + TimescaleDB in a production environment, I've always used mysql as the zabbix database, and monitors about 2,000 hosts with over 60,000 monitoring items.
      I have tested and compared the performance of MySql or PostgreSQL in large environments, and I think the performance of both databases is similar if the amount of data collected per second does not exceed 20,000.
      So, there is no doubt that using PostgreSQL + TimescaleDB in a large environment is fine and supports a large number of monitoring items, but of course it also depends on your configuration tuning of the database.

      Comment

      • james.cook000@gmail.com
        Member
        • Apr 2018
        • 49

        #5
        Hi,

        I am using Zabbix 5.4, PostgreSQL 13 + Repmgr (DB Replication) + TimescaleDB (Compressed) along with PgBackRest (DB Backups) running on SLES 15 SP3....


        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1909
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	464859​

        I have experienced no issues with the above albeit a small instance.

        We are moving one of our larger accounts and expecting probably 10-15K NVPS so when we get there I will let you know how it goes, however I suspect no isssues should occur.

        Comment

        Working...