Ad Widget

Collapse

How to detect and monitor service Microsoft SQL Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to detect and monitor service Microsoft SQL Server?

Zabbix server got 3.0.
    The problem is that when we create instance in MSSQLServer this instance become a name of service. For example, standard name is "MSSQLSERVER" if default install, but if we create instance with name "SQLSRV" name of service will be "MSSQL$SQLSRV". So what need to detect MSSQLServer service to later monitor his state?

Please try to run via command line
    Code:
    typeperf -qx | find ":Databases("
    Does the output will be quite long, but does it provide all the instance names?

Comment

• squidw
      squidw commented
      Editing a comment
      That interesting command, maybe use it later, but it show the databases and options of this databases that looks like perfomance counters. I need to check state of service first.

Hi,

Service monitoring you can cover by cloning "Template OS Windows". There is already a discovery for services. In your particular case, I believe you will be interested only in services starting with the name "MSSQL..":

Please set in a filter section what is your scope of interest:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mssql.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	374877
    Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by aigars.kadikis View Post
      Hi,

Service monitoring you can cover by cloning "Template OS Windows". There is already a discovery for services. In your particular case, I believe you will be interested only in services starting with the name "MSSQL..":

Please set in a filter section what is your scope of interest:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	mssql.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	374877
      Regards,
      Can you please show me the details of your discovery rule? If I create a separate template with a discovery rule using key 'service.discovery' it won't work because that key is already in use with the default windows services discovery rule. How were you able to have a separate discovery including '^(MSSQL.*) without the discovery rule key conflicting?

Comment

Hello Elvar,

The way (more like a workaround) how to create another discovery key if already using "Template OS Windows" is to open zabbix_agentd.conf and set
        Code:
        Alias=another.key:service.discovery
        Now you can use "another.key" in a different template.

Second approach:
        I would recommend better to remove "Windows service discovery" from "Template OS Windows" and create a separate template which covers the service monitoring.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by aigars.kadikis View Post
          Hello Elvar,

The way (more like a workaround) how to create another discovery key if already using "Template OS Windows" is to open zabbix_agentd.conf and set
          Code:
          Alias=another.key:service.discovery
          Now you can use "another.key" in a different template.

Second approach:
          I would recommend better to remove "Windows service discovery" from "Template OS Windows" and create a separate template which covers the service monitoring.

Regards,
          For now i got test in zabbix server 4.2. It has by default checking state of services. For now this topic is not relevant. If after testing zabbix server 4.2 i will have same problem than i come back to this topic.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X