Observation of the new Zabbix 4.x features and suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation of the new Zabbix 4.x features and suggestions

Ok so I share my first experiences with everyone.
    Normally I'm reluctant to upgrade something which is well working but this was not the case with the Zabbix 3.x series.

I have a small zabbix installation collecting data from ~ 40 devices: switches, routers, ip phones, linux, windows machines through the agent and snmp.
    I had different versions installed under KVM Debian Jessie 8.x and then Debian Stretch 9.x, the main problem with it was... well crashed the whole VM, like you couldn't login anymore, nothing in the log, ssh, kvm console frozen.

The crash was random, sometimes happened in 3 days sometimes 2 weeks.

So now as a resolution I have moved forward replacing this with KVM based VM again but the operating system is the latest stable NetBSD 8.x and Zabbix is the latest stable 4.x.

If after all this changes it crashes again I will be very angry, from NIX systems I prefer seeing 300+ days uptimes.

Here are my observations and suggestions:

1, Range selector bar become too thick. It used to be a slim row, now it takes up half of the screen

2, Not enough themes :{

3, Zabbix logo MUST be customizable through the frontend, not with css hacking

4, Config path option is not taken into account by the daemons:

./configure --enable-server --enable-agent --with-mysql --enable-ipv6 --with-net-snmp --with-libcurl --with-libxml2 --prefix=/usr/zabbix4

so they try to look for configs in /usr/local/... instead of /usr/zabbix4/etc/...

5, Apache 2.4 ready config file

DocumentRoot "/var/www"
    <Directory "/var/www">

Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Require all granted

php_value max_execution_time 300
    php_value memory_limit 128M
    php_value post_max_size 16M
    php_value upload_max_filesize 2M
    php_value max_input_time 300
    php_value always_populate_raw_post_data -1
    php_value date.timezone Europe/Luxembourg

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.php

</Directory>

Guys once again please think of BSD users. our httpds not coming with include.d style directories so a simple copy pastable config should be provided for apache 2.4, no need for 2.2 anymore with the new syntax.

6, Precreate graphs for templates. Although I see it as big plus that now it is super easy to add multiple items to a graph by selecting them from a list and ADD, you could still precreate graphs for templates.
    Eg: someone adds template BSD or template linux -> check if attributes are supported by host -> create the graphs automatically

That's it I can think of now. Unfortunately out of the box a BSD based LAMP server is way slower serving the zabbix frontend than a Linux alternative BUT if it does not crashes I can live with that and I will be doing extensive testings and fine tunings now.

Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X