Host availability is 'gray' for agent [FOR HELP]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Host availability is 'gray' for agent [FOR HELP]

I have added about 40 freeBSD servers as hosts. Each server has the agent installed. Most of them come up as a green Z icon in the Zabbix hosts list. The rest are all red.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ截图未命名.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	315793

When I delete the host ,and then add again the same host,the availablility became “gray” ,why ???

Name:	QQ截图未命名2.jpg
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	315794

The zabbix_agent(119.254.72.159) is running normally

Name:	QQ截图未命名3.jpg
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	315795

And the server IP(119.254.72.250) of the agent configuration file is right

Name:	server IP.png
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	315796

In addtion,the server(119.254.72.250) can get data from the agent(119.254.72.159)

Name:	能获取数据.png
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	315797

I don't know how to get them all green. I've done them the same as the first one, which is green.

Any ideas?
    Thankyou a lot

Hi,

if you hover with the mouse over the red Z you will get more information, why you could not set the connection up.

Telnet test on the ports on the client from the server and vice versa successfull?

Cheers.

Comment

Telnet 10050 from zabbix server to zabbix agent is normal

Name:	telnet.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	309609

Now what I can do to solve the problem(Host availability is 'gray' for agent) ?

Any more inforamtion ? Thank you in advance !!
      Last edited by Aniya_zyj; 08-07-2011, 04:39.

Comment

ZBX grey

Originally posted by Aniya_zyj View Post

[ATTACH]4138[/ATTACH]

Now what I can do to solve the problem(Host availability is 'gray' for agent) ?

Any more inforamtion ? Thank you in advance !!
        Same here with Zabbix 3.0.4 - except for one windows host, the rest ist grey. Agent Items are okay. Any hint ?

Kind regards.

Comment

If you can get the value of passive items using Zabbix agent, it will be green.
          If you have only active item, it remains gray.

If you cannot get the value of passive items using Zabbix agent, it will be red.

Comment

I have noticed that in the event of connection loss agents might go to gray and stay that way even after connection is gained back. After connection is back online and agents/proxies are transferring data again, agents still stay gray, don't really know why. Maybe restarting agents would bring them back to green status, I'll report back if this is the case.

Comment

Do you know anything else more about this issue?

Comment

Does the "Hostname" match in the zabbix_agentd.conf AND the web interface to zabbix ? if connectivity is good and the agent responds this leaves minor details likely being the issue.

Comment

Are there any news about this problem? Maybe a problem with the windows firewall?

Comment

I too do not understand the grey vs. green status.

We have multiple hosts all going through proxy and each all using the same template this combination of simple checks and active agent items.

I see latest data have no errors, yet some of my hosts show gray and some show green. I have ready the docs (https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...ration/hosts?s[]=host&s[]=availability)

But is there a there a way to or some logic to how a host can get back to "green" status when is uses a proxy and all the monitoring data is coming back to zabbix?

Comment

Originally posted by jjahn View Post
                      I too do not understand the grey vs. green status.

We have multiple hosts all going through proxy and each all using the same template this combination of simple checks and active agent items.

I see latest data have no errors, yet some of my hosts show gray and some show green. I have ready the docs (https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...ration/hosts?s[]=host&s[]=availability)

But is there a there a way to or some logic to how a host can get back to "green" status when is uses a proxy and all the monitoring data is coming back to zabbix?
                      Hi jjahn,
                      the ZBX near your host will lit:
                      • Green - You have at least 1 Passive check and connection between Server & Host can be established.
                      • Red - If you have at least 1 Passive check, but your Server/proxy can't establish the connection with the Host
                      • Grey - You have only Active checks or there is no checks at all..

Hope it will help you,
                      Regards,
                      Alex!

Comment

Hey all, I have experience the same behaviour of the agent running fine, but showing as grey.

The test enviorment is in a dev domain, and several windows servers dissappeared for a while last night, all graphs, traps etc... started working as before once they returned, yet the status remained grey.

Just restarting the zabbix agent didn't clear the issue, it had to be stopped long enough for it to alert as down and show red. Once this has happened and the agent was started again, they showed up as green.

Looking through the logs, it all looks fine, nothing indicating an issue, well, there wasn't really an issue, the agent was talking to proxy -> server fine, just not coming up as a green icon, just grey. Some sort of caching issue in the web front end?

Garth

Comment

Alex -- thank you for the quick reply.

Is this what you are saying? A host using a proxy and no passive items will always show as GRAY.

If yes, then what is still confusing that I can consistently do this: For a host with the proxy shows GRAY, I stop the agent and leave shutdown until it shows as RED in UI. Then I start the agent back up and it turns to GREEN. And as mentioned in my other thread, I have a bunch of hosts all using proxy and using same template and some are GRAY and some are GREEN.

I believe I have no passive items, but attached is a tab seperated list.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I have been running into similar issues. I can usually do...something...and the indicator goes to Green, but I don't know what that something is.

I have installed Zabbix_Agent on 4 machines now. This last machine that I installed the Agent on, I can't get the "ZBX" icon to go green. It is stuck on gray. I don't get any information when hovering over that icon on the Configuration -> Hosts page. I tried shutting down the Zabbix_Agent on this new machine - and left it turned off for 5+ minutes - but the icon never went to red, either.

- Agents are v3.4.0.
                            - all installed on Windows Server 2012r2.
                            - all report back to the same Zabbix_Server (3.4.15)
                            - Each one is using the same Template,
                            - all using the same configuration file on the Agent (except for the name of the local server, of course).
                            - all Agents are configured to use a non-default port, e.g. 10060.
                            - I have had to configure the firewall on this new Host to allow connections. (I have done this on all the other Hosts I have set up, too - it's expected.)
                            - This Template has a free disk-space check on it; that should qualify as a Passive check I believe. (This Item and it's Trigger are both enabled on all Hosts.)

* Note: On all of these machines, this is actually a 2nd instance of the Zabix Agent running on each machine. (The server hosting company has their own copy running.) This is working fine on 3 of them so far.

I am able to use my local machine to make Zabbix_get calls to this remote agent.

This new non-green instance actually does register, correctly display, and respond to Triggers & Actions on this new non-green installation. I have the Zabbix_Server configured to restart some things on the remote machines if the website goes down. It does this correctly when I manually take down the web site. So Zabbix_Server is communicating well to this new Agent installation. Except for this green-icon thingy. The other 3 servers that use this configuration are showing green icons...I'd like to get this one showing it as well.

Here's a bit from the v3.4 documentation - but it doesn't really help me:
                            Unknown host status

Zabbix server sets the host availability icon to gray (unknown status) for the corresponding agent interface (Zabbix, SNMP, IMP, JMX) if:
                            • there are no enabled items on the interface (they were removed or disabled);
                            • host is disabled;
                            • host is set to be monitored by proxy, a different proxy or by server if it was monitored by proxy;
                            • host is monitored by a proxy that appears to be offline (no updates received from the proxy during the maximum heartbeat interval - 1 hour).
                            Setting host availability to unknown is done after server configuration cache synchronization. Restoring host availability (available/unavailable) on hosts monitored by proxies is done after proxy configuration cache synchronization.
                            Last edited by J_Adatasol; 22-01-2019, 01:05.

Comment

Well, seems typical...I poked and proded at this issue for quite a while yesterday, trying this, trying that, trying other things...nothing seemed to work. The little icon always stayed Gray.

So I wake up this morning, start reviewing things...and lo and behold! The icon is green!

I have no idea what caused it - or what fixed it.

Comment

• carmichael.chris
                                carmichael.chris commented
                                Editing a comment
                                If you have these hosts behind a proxy, there is a delay on stuff getting added. We usually restart our proxy service after doing a lot of mods and everything quickly pops up green.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X