Comparison to other monitoring tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison to other monitoring tools

We are considering moving from our existing system to another monitoring tool. We have already checklist of characteristics we are considering. However, I am curious about what characteristics that Zabbix has that makes you feel it is better than other tools. Why should someone install Zabbix over CheckMK, Nagios, PRTG, SolarWinds, or any other similar tool? Why should someone install another product instead of Zabbix? I would be grateful for any input.

Each NMS in my experience is a Framework with some Workflow that simplifies a lot of crontabs with pings, curls, snmpgets os ssh commands. What you need to understand is what Framework/Workflow fits your needs more and to do that you need to try some for some time. Zabbix has a great evolution across the time, great documentation, if you need training, the certifications are great too.

About comparisons, in my experience:

Nagios or Cacti: I don't like the need for a lot of plugins to make it really useful;
    SolarWinds: Don't like the segmentation on the solutions, like HP NNMi you need a lot of different solutions to get a complete one;

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Are you talking about plugins in the sense of monitoring scripts or in the sense of things to add more functionality to the tool? Sadly the terminology is not consistent and add-ons are sometimes plugins and plugins are sometimes add-ons. We're a software developer and we also provide data center services, so there is a wide variety of software that we monitor. Many of the scripts we wrote ourselves because the vendor does not provide the ones we needed. I looked at the share.zabbix.com site and there seems to be several that do the things we wrote ourselves. The segmentation of HP and Solarwinds is something that bothers me, as well.

Comment

WhatsUp Gold user here. Entertaining the possibility of replacing it with Zabbix but only if I can get it configured exactly as WhatsUp Gold is. The only thing stopping me from making the switch to Zabbix is my inability to mimic a status report (it just shows the number of up/down devices).

Comment

• Gkar_of_Narn
          Gkar_of_Narn commented
          Editing a comment
          What kinds of information should your status report contain?

Originally posted by Gkar_of_Narn View Post
        Thank you for your reply. Are you talking about plugins in the sense of monitoring scripts or in the sense of things to add more functionality to the tool? Sadly the terminology is not consistent and add-ons are sometimes plugins and plugins are sometimes add-ons.
        In the mean of "things to add more functionality to the tool", I'm gonna be beaten by some in the community for saying this, but Zabbix not having an add-on ecosystem gives me some breathing space, It got a lot already, and with Grafana backing it UP there's really little to really add up.

We're a software developer and we also provide data center services, so there is a wide variety of software that we monitor. Many of the scripts we wrote ourselves because the vendor does not provide the ones we needed.
        Software developer? Look at this: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...itemtypes/http

I looked at the share.zabbix.com site and there seems to be several that do the things we wrote ourselves.
        Golden Rule/Great Tip: Always customize any templates that you get from there, and customize your out-of-box templates on Zabbix too.

BTW: Look at this Official Youtube Series to understand a little more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LOy...HEaSvjasShee_A

Comment

Originally posted by isaqueprofeta View Post
          Zabbix not having an add-on ecosystem gives me some breathing space, It got a lot already, and with Grafana backing it UP there's really little to really add up.
          Hmmmm....Not wanting add-on seems to be a rare position, but obviously depends on what you need. The tool we are currently using has an internal scripting engine, but no real add-on capability like with other kinds of tools I know. Is there someway in Zabbix to expand the functionality? For example, we need to have ERRs down-graded to WARN until a certain number of repetitions occur or downgrade from ERR to WARN depending on certain tags.

Software developer?
          Sadly the developers have not implemented any kind of monitoring into many of the products. Up to know we have had to monitor things with external scripts to access products like MQSeries, Oracle AQ Gateway, etc., which are then integrated into monitoring templates. However they are starting to slowly implement APIs with new versions of the software.

Golden Rule/Great Tip: Always customize any templates that you get from there, and customize your out-of-box templates on Zabbix too.
          I will keep that in mind. We typically make copies with new names anytime we modified default to ensure people know it has been modified.

BTW: Look at this Official Youtube Series to understand a little more
          Thanks. I've started watching them.

I've looked in the Zabbix GUI and documentation and do not see where you can define Time Windows for anything. For example, there is no need to send a notification when the NOC is occupied or when services are not required to be online. For example, in the middle of the night or on holidays. My assumption is that I am simply not looking in the right place. IMO not having time windows is simply absurd and would be a reason to skip looking at Zabbix any further.

Comment

Hmmmm....Not wanting add-on seems to be a rare position, but obviously depends on what you need. The tool we are currently using has an internal scripting engine, but no real add-on capability like with other kinds of tools I know. Is there someway in Zabbix to expand the functionality? For example, we need to have ERRs down-graded to WARN until a certain number of repetitions occur or downgrade from ERR to WARN depending on certain tags.
            Event Correlation case? Look at: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...nt_correlation

I've looked in the Zabbix GUI and documentation and do not see where you can define Time Windows for anything. For example, there is no need to send a notification when the NOC is occupied or when services are not required to be online. For example, in the middle of the night or on holidays. My assumption is that I am simply not looking in the right place. IMO not having time windows is simply absurd and would be a reason to skip looking at Zabbix any further.
            Maintenance schedules case? Look at: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...al/maintenance

Comment

I had to work with Nagios/CheckMK for years. It breaks down to simplicity. Nagios is older but more complex to configure if you need custom plugins you manually need to write checks on the server side while with Zabbix you don't even touch the console on the server side you put all the logic you want to the client in a script which can be whatever your choice, shell, perl, python, php as long as it returns a value for UserParamter you are good to go. I would chose Zabbix any time over the mentioned 2, sadly I would say more company uses them as Zabbix is not widespread so in work you end up dealing with Nagios

Comment

The only thing stopping me from making the switch to Zabbix is my inability to mimic a status report.
                Last edited by gregorymojet; 23-11-2020, 23:49.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X