Ad Widget

Collapse

Windows Event Log Unique Triggered Problems

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jwrober
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2026
    • 4

    #1

    Windows Event Log Unique Triggered Problems

    Hi all, I'm new to Zabbix. I'm running a newly installed v7.4.15 setup on a CentOS Stream 10 Linux VM. I am wanting to use the windows agent to capture windows event logs. In the "Windows by Zabbix Agent Active" template I have created 3 new items with the following code:

    Code:
    Name: Application Event Log Events (Critical/Error/Warning)
    Key: eventlog[Application,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]
    
    Name: Security Event Log Events (Critical/Error/Warning)
    Key: eventlog[Security,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]
    
    Name: System Event Log Events (Critical/Error/Warning)
    Key: eventlog[System,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]
    I then created three triggers to log problems on the console:

    Code:
    Name: Windows: Event Log: Application (Critical / Error / Warning)
    Expression: length(last(/Windows by Zabbix agent active/eventlog[Application,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]))>0
    Ok Event Gen: None
    Problem Event Gen Mode: Single
    Allow Manual Close: Yes
    
    Name: Windows: Event Log: Security (Critical / Error / Warning)
    Expression: length(last(/Windows by Zabbix agent active/eventlog[Security,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]))>0
    Ok Event Gen: None
    Problem Event Gen Mode: Single
    Allow Manual Close: Yes
    
    Name: Windows: Event Log: System (Critical / Error / Warning)
    Expression: length(last(/Windows by Zabbix agent active/eventlog[System,,"Critical|Error|Warning",,,,skip]))>0
    Ok Event Gen: None
    Problem Event Gen Mode: Single
    Allow Manual Close: Yes
    ​

    The challenge I have is I am getting problems for new log events associated with closed/resolved problems. Here is a sample. The original event was for a DLL not have perfmon data. I acknowledged it with some update entries
    ​Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	11
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	517292​
    and closed. Then today it "came back" with this new event that isn't a repeat of the first one.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	11
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	517291
    Is there a way to change the trigger to add some kind of unique values to the problem so as I resolve things Zabbix finds, it doesn't bring back old problems as new?

    Thanks in Advance
    ​​
  • cyber
    Senior Member
    Zabbix Certified SpecialistZabbix Certified Professional
    • Dec 2006
    • 4984

    #2
    if you really "closed" the problem. ,it should not come back ever... There is no such feature to reopen any closed event. Suppressing is not closing...
    you also have
    Code:
    Ok Event Gen: None
    Problem Event Gen Mode: Single
    Shouldnt you have event gen mode "Multiple" to have separate problem for each found line?

    Comment

    • jwrober
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2026
      • 4

      #3
      Good point on the suppress vs close. However that isn't really the issue. The suppressed problem event was for a different event entirely, so why would it come back up? That's effectively the crux of my question. I'll give the event gen mode: multiple a try as well.

      Comment

      • thetinkergnome
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2019
        • 8

        #4
        I close the Windows events after 60 seconds. I manage their history from an email folder rather than by looking at the Zabbix dashboards.

        Here's a template I did over a decade ago. There are probably better weays to do this now, but it still works. It essentially uses a nodata(60) statement in the trigger so that after 60 seconds the trigger is no longer a problem, so it resolves.
        https://github.com/TheTinkerGnome/zabbix/blob/master/templates/Windows-Eventlogs/zbx_eventlog_template.xml
        Last edited by thetinkergnome; Yesterday, 17:51.

        Comment

        Working...