Hosts availibility shows unknown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosts availibility shows unknown

New user first post and I have several servers being monitored and they are working great. I setup a agentless monitor for several wifi relay modules that will need to be just pinged to make sure they are up. I have successfully used the icmp module and I am getting the data but wondering why all of agentless monitors are unknown. Can I change them to be available? I did Google as well and its the same thing "UNKNOWN" . Let me know what else I can post to help anyone help me.

Thanks first for the help and for this fantastic monitor.

I also created a ping of a wifi module under my zabbix server and I was wondering if that can come up as available as well. There has to be a way to make these come up as available somehow, Someone must have done it hopefully.

Comment

Are you asking about "Unknown host status", as described at the bottom of this page: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...t_availability

Comment

Yes I have set up a couple of ping monitors about a week ago and they are giving me results in that they are up or when they go down(I have a router that has to be power cycled every once in a while, when it goes down so does the wifi module). So they have been up and down and it shows me that a ping is not getting to that router, But it always shows me unknow status. I have a total of 8 monitors 5 are servers with a client agent and they are available. I have 1 Access point and one wifi relay module and google all saying unknown. They are all enabled.

Is it because they are not active zabbix agents? That was one of the things in the list. Can you make a wifi moodule or access point a active zabbix agent?

Comment

I guess this can't be explained or can't be done then.

Comment

Read info from @tim.mooney link.
            Trapper items do not affect host status. You need to use zabbix agent passive or SNMP or IPMI or JMX.

Comment

I have been following the instructions to use "simple check"
              1. I created a new host called test
              2. I use the group "ICMP ping"
              3. I put in the lan address "192.169.1.150" and port 0
              4. After adding the host I click on templates and add "Template Module ICMP ping" and save.
              I can see it getting updates under latest data and everything works but the new item stays under "UNKOWN" for ever.
              Can it go to Green "Available"

Comment

RTFM!
                https://www.zabbix.com/documentation...t_availability
                Unknown host status

Zabbix server sets the host availability icon to gray (unknown status) for the corresponding agent interface (Zabbix, SNMP, IPMI, JMX) if:
                • there are no enabled items on the interface (they were removed or disabled);
                • there are only active Zabbix agent items;
                • host is disabled;
                • host is set to be monitored by proxy, a different proxy or by server if it was monitored by proxy;
                • host is monitored by a proxy that appears to be offline (no updates received from the proxy during the maximum heartbeat interval - 1 hour). Setting host availability to unknown is done after server configuration cache synchronization. Restoring host availability (available/unavailable) on hosts monitored by proxies is done after proxy configuration cache synchronization.
                Availability of the host is displayed. Four icons each represent a supported interface (Zabbix agent, SNMP, IPMI, JMX).
                The current status of the interface is displayed by the respective colour:
                Green - available
                Red - not available (upon mouseover, details of why the interface cannot be reached are displayed)
                Gray - unknown or not configured
                Note that active Zabbix agent items do not affect host availability.
                Have you passive zabbix agent? No!
                Have you SNMP, IPMI, JMX ??? No!
                So what do you want to display??????
                Use triggers to alert you when a host is UNAVAILABLE by ICMP.
                Last edited by Hamardaban; 04-07-2020, 19:12.

Comment

And you are welcome to vote for: https://support.zabbix.com/browse/ZBXNEXT-5088

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X