Ad Widget

Collapse

How to have Hosts that are created by discovery rules to have the host name listed?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John_W
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2026
    • 27

    #1

    How to have Hosts that are created by discovery rules to have the host name listed?

    Since I am new to Zabbix, I have a lot of devices to discover and hosts to create. I have to assume there is a way to get host info populated during the discovery of devices. I haven't found a screen to make that happen. I was thinking there would be an OID provided to determine the host name of the device. I have experimented with creating hosts, and the ones I have created have the graphs, dashboards, and web columns greyed out. This is shown under Monitoring-> Hosts in the side menu. What step do I need to take to get those features working?
  • cyber
    Senior Member
    Zabbix Certified SpecialistZabbix Certified Professional
    • Dec 2006
    • 4985

    #2
    Widely supported OID for sysName is 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0, so during network discovery you should add acheck for this value and then you can use that value as host name or host visual name. (was this, what you asked about "name being listed" ? ).

    After that you can create a "Discovery action" what can do a variation of things, add templates to host, move host to hostgroups, inform you about discovery etc..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	18
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	517233

    Comment

    • John_W
      Junior Member
      • Apr 2026
      • 27

      #3
      Should the check type still be a SNMP V2 check? Where can I assign the OID to a visual name or a host name?

      Comment

      • John_W
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2026
        • 27

        #4
        I figured it out. Chrome does not display one screen correctly. This made it hard to figure out what was listed.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-10-01 at 7.14.26 AM.png
Views:	10
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	517277

        Comment

        • John_W
          Junior Member
          • Apr 2026
          • 27

          #5
          " Was this, what you asked about name being listed? "

          By default, it looks like the IP address is copied into the Host Name field during discovery. I want the host name to be placed in that field. A list of IPs in the Hosts screen isn't very useful.

          Comment

          • John_W
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2026
            • 27

            #6
            My latest discovery of UPSes is still placing the IP address in the host name field and the visible name field. I am using the OID that returns the network host name in the discovery rule, and in the Discovery Action screen, I have set Add Host, Add to Groups, and Link Templates as the operations. Here is my Discovery Rule. Is there a setting I should change to get the Host Name text to be the Host name when it is discovered?
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2026-10-02 at 8.17.15 AM.png
Views:	8
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	517310

            Comment

            • John_W
              Junior Member
              • Apr 2026
              • 27

              #7
              Is there another screen I need to be checking for the host name to show up in the Monitoring Host list? All I get is the IP address as the host name or visible name.

              Comment

              Working...