Since I am new to Zabbix, I have a lot of devices to discover and hosts to create. I have to assume there is a way to get host info populated during the discovery of devices. I haven't found a screen to make that happen. I was thinking there would be an OID provided to determine the host name of the device. I have experimented with creating hosts, and the ones I have created have the graphs, dashboards, and web columns greyed out. This is shown under Monitoring-> Hosts in the side menu. What step do I need to take to get those features working?
Ad Widget
Collapse
How to have Hosts that are created by discovery rules to have the host name listed?
Collapse
X
-
Widely supported OID for sysName is 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.5.0, so during network discovery you should add acheck for this value and then you can use that value as host name or host visual name. (was this, what you asked about "name being listed" ? ).
After that you can create a "Discovery action" what can do a variation of things, add templates to host, move host to hostgroups, inform you about discovery etc..
-
My latest discovery of UPSes is still placing the IP address in the host name field and the visible name field. I am using the OID that returns the network host name in the discovery rule, and in the Discovery Action screen, I have set Add Host, Add to Groups, and Link Templates as the operations. Here is my Discovery Rule. Is there a setting I should change to get the Host Name text to be the Host name when it is discovered?
Comment
-
The easiest way is to use Network Discovery Actions to automatically create and configure hosts. You can set the discovery rule to identify devices by SNMP, then have an action automatically add the host, assign the correct template, and configure its SNMP interface. You don't necessarily need an OID for the hostname; Zabbix can use discovered IPs and SNMP information, depending on the device and discovery configuration. For the greyed-out Graphs, Dashboards, and Web options, make sure the host has an interface, is linked to at least one appropriate template, and has enabled items collecting data. Once Zabbix starts receiving data from the host, those monitoring options should become available.Since I am new to Zabbix, I have a lot of devices to discover and hosts to create. I have to assume there is a way to get host info populated during the discovery of devices. I haven't found a screen to make that happen. I was thinking there would be an OID provided to determine the host name of the device. I have experimented with creating hosts, and the ones I have created have the graphs, dashboards, and personal injury attorney web columns greyed out. This is shown under Monitoring-> Hosts in the side menu. What step do I need to take to get those features working?Comment
Comment